Hearty Kitchen Academy Syllabus
The Hearty Kitchen Academy offers culinary technique and life skill courses that provide students the hands-on skills needed to improve their personal dietary habits in a professional kitchen environment.
FOOD SAFETY AND SANITATION
Participants will learn practical food safety and sanitation knowledge in accordance with the current FDA food code.
PROFESSIONAL KITCHEN EXPERIENCE
Participants will learn from a professional chef, in a commercial kitchen, real skills they can use at home.
FOOD SERVICE INTRODUCTION AND PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
Emphasis in food safety, physical safety, and food preparation.
- Food safety and sanitation:
- Food-borne illness; Sanitizing food contact surfaces; Potentially hazardous foods; Cross contamination; Food storage/FIFO; Time and temperature control; Thermometers and how to use them; Proper cleaning; Equipment and materials use.
- Weights and measures:
- Proper use of scales and other measuring devices; Differences between weight vs. volume, liquid and dry.
- Knife Skills:
- Identification, safety, care, and use.
- Introduction to kitchen vocabulary.
- Other kitchen equipment identification and uses:
- Utensils, pots, pans, and kitchenware.
Classes will emphasize the basic principles involved with the preparation of food through lectures and demonstrations. Participants learn to recognize standard products and understand how products are affected by different preparation methods.
- Preparation methods for meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits, salads, soups, stocks and sauces including produce identification and proper storage.
- Each course will focus on a different type or style of food/cooking. The basic cooking techniques taught, such as roasting, braising, sautéing, poaching and grilling, will vary depending on the production menu within each course. Bread and dessert baking courses will experience the same menu-based technique variances.