The Hearty Kitchen Academy develops skills that will last a lifetime and introduces and reinforces the fundamental concepts of food safety, personal kitchen safety, and basic cooking methods and techniques.
How does it work?
– In addition to the HKA program, additional life skills programs are conducted throughout the week; this includes Daily Living Skills, Money Skills, Art History/Appreciation, Craft making, Physical Fitness, Growth Mindset and Self-Advocacy.
– The HKA is offered concurrently with the ADT programs: Many aspects of Life Skills, Math, Money, Budgeting, Shopping, etc… crossover into food service;
– HKA is an introduction to working in a commercial kitchen. Participants of this program meet Monday thru Friday utilizing classroom lectures, training videos, kitchen demos and practical application in a professional commercial kitchen.
Participants will learn safety and sanitation protocols in accordance with current FDA regulations. Weighing and measuring techniques are learned using scales and volumetric devices. Safe and effective knife handling and equipment use are learned. Participants learn preparation & cooking methods for meats, vegetables, starches, and bakery items. Techniques such as searing, sautéing, simmering, baking, and roasting are reinforced through repetition and all participants also taught the skills necessary to clean, rinse and sanitize the kitchen equipment and utensils using a three compartment sink, commercial single-tank dishwasher, and the industry standard two-bucket method.
Long-term training goals include taking the participant to the next level of working in a commercial kitchen.
This phase, supports each participant while increasing their food prep, safety, and delivery skills in a faster-paced, higher intensity environment as all participants will have the opportunity to showcase their skills in an actual food service simulation.
HKA participants will know how to:
• Dress the tables with linen tablecloths and rolled silverware;
• Serve the food restaurant style to all guests;
• Bus the tables and completely clean and sanitize the kitchen.
Why choose Loveland’s HKA?
Skills that will last a lifetime is the main ingredient. While the focus is on culinary training in the food and hospitality industry, practical home cooking skills and healthy eating habits are all strengthened throughout this program.
Hard Skills Developed
Soft Skills Developed
Food and equipment identification;
Problem solving and critical thinking;
Listening and time management;
Knife handling skills.
For more information please contact the program manager at (941) 493-0016 x347.